Before starting on my mini-series for small businesses that I talked about last week, I felt it was important to answer a question that I am often asked, ‘Why do I need a small business coach?’ Whether you have decided that you are fed up working for someone else and are looking to start your own business or if you have been in business for some time, then there are a lot of good reasons why you need a small business coach.
Here are my top 5:
- A small business coach can provide a fresh, non biased overview of your business. This is important from 2 aspects: Firstly, if you have spent years working for someone else then you will need someone to help guide you through the whole process of starting up and running your business. It is important to note that a business coach will not do all the work for you but will be able to provide you with inspiration and a wealth of useful information to help you get your business up and running. Secondly, if you have been in business for some time it can be extremely valuable to have someone to review your business to ensure that you are targeting your efforts to the right areas of your business and help inspire you to come up with new, innovative ways to grow your business.
- A Small business coach will help you to maintain a healthy work/life balance. You may believe that working long hours is the key to the success of your business but this can in many cases be counterproductive. Making effective use of your time is key and a small business coach can assist you in identifying where you should be spending your time.
- A good small business coach will help you to de-mystify marketing and make it more fun and effective. They will help you to boost your confidence in negotiations, find the best marketing strategies that suit you and your business as well as advising on how to promote your business online.
- A small business coach will hold you accountable. When working for yourself you can sometimes feel very isolated. It is very easy to procrastinate and concentrate on the jobs you enjoy doing but which may not actually be the most productive for your business. Your coach will help you prioritise tasks and put systems in place to ensure that you meet your business goals and deliver results.
- A small business coach will be there to support you and keep you motivated.
These are just my top 5 and if you have any of your own that you’d like to add to this list please add it in the ‘comments’ box below.
And before you rush out to hire a small business coach, please be sure to click on the link to find out How to Choose a Good Coach