Are you guilty of writing something like this when applying for a job?
I am writing to apply for the job of accounts assistant. Please see my CV, enclosed.
On the assumption that your CV will show them that you are the person for the job!
If so, your CV will go straight on the “no” pile!
A letter like this one is used by a lot of prospective candidates and the sad fact is that even if you have just spent a lot of time writing an amazing CV the chances are that it will never be read if it accompanies a letter like this.
Your cover letter is really the first place that you can sell yourself to a recruiter and if you can write one that is strong, focussed and well written then you are immediately increasing the chances of your CV being read.
The reason for this is that your cover letter provides you with the opportunity to explain how your unique skills are relevant for and can add value to, the job you are applying for. In order to do this and keep you cover letter to no more than one page, you need to ensure that it is specifically written for the job you are applying for – be warned, recruiters know if you have sent them a generic letter!
Here are a few key areas to consider when writing your cover letter:
- Always address the letter to a person. If the job advert doesn’t give a name, contact the company and find out who you should be sending it to.
- State the job you are applying for and quote any relevant reference numbers.
- Begin with a good strong opening paragraph about why you are the right person for the job.
- Show that you know a bit about the company and its needs and how your particular skills will help fulfil those needs. This is a great point to make reference to your CV to make sure that they look at it to find out more.
- End by asking for an interview.
- Keep it to one page.
- Make it easy to read.
Your cover letter is an important document that should compliment your CV. It is a great personal marketing tool which when combined with a strong CV will make your application really stand out.
If you would like help to make sure that you have a strong CV and cover letter, drop me an email today, firstname.lastname@example.org